Monday, July 07, 2008

Six-word classics

Further to the six-word short story challenge, and in particular Dominic's precis of Crime and Punishment in the comments, here's the follow-through: six-word summaries of the literary classics.

These are my first efforts, I daresay more will occur to me over time and – I hope – to you too. Consider this an open challenge – in the comments or your own blogs – to outdo me.

The Odyssey

Sorry I'm late. I got lost.

Hamlet

I should be King, shouldn't I?

Pride and Prejudice

'I won't. 'He's rich'. 'I will.'

The Brothers Karamazov

Guilt? Leave all that to God.

War and Peace

Napoleon invaded. But life goes on.

The Great Gatsby

I love her. Let's all party.

James Joyce and PG Wodehouse are proving especially tricky to do in this format. More to follow, no doubt.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Quink said...

Loved the Odyssey...

Here are mine.

Orwell, 1984 - Middle classes get what they deserve.

De Sade, Justine - "Fuck me - see that lightning bolt?"

Geoffrey of Monmouth, Historia Regum Britanniae - Yet another collection of Welsh lies.

Wodehouse (all) - Never marry Hugo, Rollo, Orlo or Milo.

10:49 pm  
Blogger Dominic said...

A Shakespearean Trio, to compliment your Hamlet

Macbeth "I should be king, shouldn't I?"

King Lear "I shouldn't be king, should I?"

The Tempest "Too complicated to describe like this"

11:33 pm  
Blogger Glamourpuss said...

Much Ado About Nothing: She's a virgin, whore, virgin again.

10:37 am  
Blogger buff and blue said...

Yes, that the spirit folks, although It think you need to nuance Macbeth a wee bit more, Dominic.

Puss, that one would be a great line to use in a lonely hearts mag. (Not that I'm suggesting you'd do that sort of thing, it's just a general observation).

Quink, I thought the PG Wodehouse advice was to never marry a woman called Glawdys. Especially if spelled thusly.

1:19 pm  
Blogger Dominic said...

"I will be king, you fuckers" then

4:04 pm  
Blogger Glamourpuss said...

Anthony & Cleopatra: Remember Mistress knows best, Tony dear.

4:55 pm  
Blogger Glamourpuss said...

The Well of Loneliness: Women in brogues can love, too.

4:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Bible - The Lord moves in mysterious ways.

4:58 pm  
Blogger buff and blue said...

Puss, that Well of Loneliness is great.

Rickshaw Boy, an excellent spot. It occurs to me that Randolph Churchill also nailed it in six words.

"God, what a shit God was." (From WWII in Yugoslavia when Evelyn Waugh bet him he couldn't read the Bible cover to cover in a bid to shut Randolph up).

12:51 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't know how much of a classic Dune is by Frank Herbert but, 'Control the Spice, control the Universe. '
I especially like Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
'Alice's destiny is to be Queen'
& with the Looking Glass,
'Alices reading of Jabberwocky was stupendous!'
Cinderella would have to be...
'All that over a glass slipper!'

3:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home