Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Make your own comparisons

There's plenty of places to find informed coverage of Prime Minister's questions, and though this isn't one of them, I have noticed the following. That when he's floundering at the dispatch box (which is quite a lot: it's just as well there's no longer a Downing Street cat otherwise by now it would be cowering in terror at 12.45 every Wednesday), Gordon Brown is beginning to turn into John Major. At least he's adopted one of Major's more unfortunate mannerisms: the habit of punctuating his remarks with an "oh yes".

It used to make Major (who proved to be not up to the job after succeeding a long-serving premier) sound weak and ineffectual. It really is not inconsiderably worrying that Brown is doing the same. Oh yes.

Any parallels between Cameron and Kinnock will be gleefully noted.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Glamourpuss said...

Didn't Kinnock go to a better school...?

Puss

2:54 pm  
Blogger S said...

I didn't pick up on that but I picked up on Cameron starting his question with a rant followed by a pause then NOW and off with another question. I have explained that very well but trust me it's irritating when you notice it.

5:09 pm  
Blogger Quink said...

I'm watching it now and it's excruciating. Oh yes.

Cameron has been using the "...Now!" technique for ages. For some reason that doesn't grate, thought it probably will begin to do so soon.

9:02 am  
Blogger buff and blue said...

I hadn't quite noticed that technique of Cameron's, just a more general tendency to go on and on – rather like a cartoon character windmilling their fists rather than just landing the blow. It is annoying and will doubtless be more so once I start watching out for the NOW. Remember, folks, never trust an Etonian.

Were I advising him, I'd tell him to keep it snappier. Ming Campbell (I cannot believe I am writing this) is better at that.

12:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home