Saturday, May 19, 2007

Sentences you should never find yourself writing

This is one such, from Giles Coren.

I went for an end-of-season dinner with my Fives Club to celebrated promotion to the First Division for the first time in 25 years, and had a brilliant night.

This obscure public school sport is played by hardly anyone, yet there is apparently a league. That people continue this in adulthood suggests there is a whole world of furtive, guilty, sweaty nostalgia of which I was ignorant until now. Nor is it the one-handed version much enjoyed by Swinesend's self-abuse club.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Quink said...

It's just a subtle way to brag that he went to Westminster School - just like Shane MacGowan.

Incidentally, I trained to teach in the only state school in the country that plays Fives. No wonder Charles Clarke later sent his son there.

9:36 am  
Blogger buff and blue said...

If I ever have access to a time machine I will use it to go back in time to ensure that certain well-known public school-educated figures (that means you, Chris Martin) are suitably bullied.

6:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home