Saturday, July 19, 2008

Things for which their should be a specific word

1. The distinctive sound made by a woman walking in flip flops or other cheap summer footwear; the sound between a flap and a quack as the synthetic material comes lose from the sole of the foot, followed by a flap, then a thud with a hint of a squelch as the foot comes down onto the ground.

2. The agony felt at seeing an Englishman wearing sandals in the summer; the realisation that this sight encapsulates the country's post-Imperial malaise; the justifiable desire to stamp firmly on the foot of the offender with one's brogues.

I'm not sure if there are words for these things in other languages, if so, the usual practice is just to appropriate them wholesale for English.



Blogger Paulie said...

I have another: Breaking the seal on a jar of coffee using a fast downward poke of the finger: 'fot' (verb).

You 'fot' a jar of coffee.

1:42 am  
Blogger bill said...

Oh that's a good 'un, Paulie. I prefer to use a spoon to do that, however. Does that need a different verb?

(Either way, it's a peculiarly satisfying action, not just because of the obvious amateur Freudian connotations either).

11:03 pm  
Blogger Paulie said...


Oh! I forgot. The great tragedy of the twentieth century - there was such a thing as a *professional* Freudian...

12:40 am  
Blogger Glamourpuss said...

Reading both of those definitions creates a sensation akin to that felt upon hearing fingernails on a blackboard.


10:01 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home