Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Back

So I am.

New computer, only I've been trying to catch up with what I was supposed to be doing the past computer-free days. Thanks to those of you who advised me, variously, to drink more beer; get a wifey; listen to Steve Jobs. I'm sure if I could find a way to calibrate these I'd have my life fixed entirely.

But in the interim here's something that amuses me whenever I see it. I've noticed this form of words (more or less) used a few times to describe the Polish Prime Minister. Here it is in the Telegraph a few days ago:

Jaroslaw Kaczynski, who has suggested gay people should not be allowed to be teachers but is unmarried and lives with his cat and his mother

Amazingly, I first saw this impressive formula – surely they aren't trying to tell us something, yet it seems to be spreading – in the Irish Times the most boring paper in the western world. It's as surprising as Scotland being good at fitba'.

Not quite as good as the Observer's "a confirmed bachelor, like most of his close friends" (for Derek Laud, not online, sadly, but I've always remembered and admired that) but not bad at all.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger David O'Mahony said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere.

11:02 pm  
Blogger Glamourpuss said...

I've always found Tatchell's methods vulgar, such snide insinuation is far more British, I feel.

Puss

12:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, to link the themes of your two posts, one of my favourite obit euphemisms was "she was always one to leave the washing up until the following morning". Sadly I forget to whom it referred.

3:37 pm  
Anonymous ruou chivas said...

The article is very good sharing knowledge with you, you can also learn the knowledge of the wine at my site.

8:09 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home