Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Trollied Tuesday II: the perfect pissed up pet

This is the perfect sort of animal companion – the pen-tailed tree shrew. Forget your pub dogs, this is the sort of pet you want to accompany you on a trip to the boozer. According to the BBC it could 'pound for pound drink the average human under the table'. Frankly, I can think of no better way for man and beast to bond.

The shrew enjoys fermented nectar from the bertam palm, apparently. I'm not sure that if you were keeping one as pet you would want to give it palm wine, at least not if you want it share to share your drinks, but I am sure its sweet tooth would probably suit a daiquiri or a honey ale.

I've said it before, but drinking contests with animals are an under-rated pastime – lions clearly are lightweights in comparison with this rodent.

Of course, there are other animals that appreciate a drink. Dogs love beer; I could tell you this from personal experience, but it's been scientifically proven and everything. However, by the far the best advert for giving animals alcohol is the great Irish steeplechaser Arkle. He was the best jump horse of all time and enjoyed a bottle of Guinness twice a day.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Glamourpuss said...

Good point - I don't think I've ever drunk an animal under the table - several men, but never an animal...

Puss

11:47 am  
Blogger buff and blue said...

That sounds alarmingly like a challenge to me, Puss. There's no woman born who can drink me under the table.*

*Well, there is actually. But she's in Australia.

7:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home